The Technical Director oversees USA Cycling’s nationwide membership of approximately 1200 officials. He or she constantly works to improve the professionalism of USA Cycling’s officials by establishing, documenting, communicating, training, enforcing and demonstrating the highest level of professional officiating conduct.
The Technical Director develops, interprets and enforces the regulations of USA Cycling. Other duties include the registration of UCI Teams, member discipline, overseeing records, and race safety. This position, along with the Technical Programs Manager, acts as a resource for USA Cycling Staff and members in regards to the above items.
1. The Technical Director leads the planning, oversight, and management of the Officials Programs including educating, training, and assigning officials.
2. Responsible for understanding, interpreting, and enforcing USA Cycling Rules and application of USA Cycling Policies.
3. Oversees officials’ assignments and coordination of officials’ travel and logistics for national-level events. Oversees assignment process for the regional and local level events.
4. Responsible for budget development, management, and analysis for Technical Department programs.
5. Provides customer service to members in a timely manner including responding to questions for a large member base requiring an in-depth understanding and evaluation of USA Cycling Rules and Policies.
6. Manages disciplinary processes for USA Cycling rules violations including development of disciplinary policies and procedures.
7. Works with Sport Committees and Staff Liaisons to develop/modify competition rules for each discipline.
8. Manages logistics and processes for the Sport Committees including arranging meetings, travel, and agenda.
9. Edits the USA Cycling Rulebook for ongoing changes.
10. Provides technical guidance for national championship events; courses, schedules and required competitions.
11. Oversees officials’ evaluations and peer reviews and maintains program for officials advancement and the re-training or removal of poorly performing officials.
12. Maintain and oversee National Technical Commission (NTC).
13. Manages registration for Union Cycliste Internationale (International Cycling Union - UCI) teams. Acts as liaison for UCI and Foreign National Federation staff.
14. Manages registration of UCI teams in all disciplines and acts as a liaison with teams.
15. Oversee USA Cycling’s program of National Records.
Develops Race Safety policies and acts as a liaison with the Safety Committee