U.S. Soccer Overview
We are U.S. Soccer and we are the future of sport in the United States. Our mission is to make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States. We embrace diversity, technology and global connections to drive the growth of our sport and serve our athletes and fans. We are seeking motivated, passionate, skillful people who can think, create and work on a team.
U.S. Soccer is a growing company that looks for team members to grow with it. U.S. Soccer offers a comprehensive compensation package, casual work environment, an inclusive culture and an atmosphere for professional development.
The U.S. Soccer Federation is seeking a Major Gifts Officer (MGO), who will be responsible for generating significant philanthropic support for U.S. Soccer. The MGO will oversee the major gift program in the New York Metropolitan Area. This individual will be responsible for identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gift prospects (individuals and foundations) and participate in donor stewardship activities. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the MGO will manage a portfolio of approximately 150 prospects capable of making a gift of $10,000+.
- In consultation with the CAO, establish an annual operating plan, with measurable performance objectives, that is linked to U.S. Soccer’s fundraising goals.
- Successfully manage a portfolio of major gift prospects to meet philanthropic goals for the region. Engage in activities that focus on donor-centered philanthropy to maximize potential gifts over the long-term.
- Identify prospects and cultivate via in-person visits, telephone and email communication, and engagement opportunities.
- Work in concert with the Development Department to organize and host special events.
- Steward donors via a variety of communications and experiences, including attendance at U.S. Soccer events and FIFA World Cups
- Serve as a key fundraising contact for the region; coordinate and implement special projects at the direction of the CAO and perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3+ years of experience cultivating major gifts from individual donors
- Demonstrated effectiveness in prospect identification, relationship building, and solicitation and ability to manage a large number of activities simultaneously
- Proven ability to create compelling gift proposals
- Experience in both collaborative and independent work environments
- Evidence of being adaptable to working with changing priorities
- Professional experience working in a sophisticated development organization
- Superior written and verbal communication skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to articulate an organization’s vision, values and programs to donor prospects in an engaging, motivating, and compelling manner
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and a proven ability to collaborate with colleagues
- Resourceful and independent, yet able to work creatively, effectively, and collaboratively within an integrated, team-oriented fundraising environment
- Professionalism, discretion, and confidentiality in all matters of staff and donor privacy
- Achievement-oriented and confident, creative and innovative.
- Some domestic and international travel will be required
Working at U.S. Soccer is a unique opportunity. Employees who work at U.S. Soccer have the following attributes:
- Adopt a company centric approach—Serve the Athlete and the Fan
- Embrace and see learning as a lifelong pursuit
- Possess a growth mindset—keeps an open mind and seeks new challenges
- Practice self-assessment and self-reflection
- Open to criticism and does not make excuses
- Possess a tireless work ethic
- Wants to be part of a team that wins
- Has the ability to be firm but fair
- Communicate in a direct, open and honest manner
- Build relationships through genuine interpersonal skills
The Major Gift Officer will report to U.S. Soccer’s headquarters in Chicago, but will be a full-time telecommuting position for a candidate based in the New York Metropolitan Area.